Misinformation about higher standards is harming essential education reforms. Get the facts about Common Core and why high standards are critical for our children.
Fighting Federal Overreach
The movement to raise standards is state-driven – it’s not a federal initiative. Help protect states’ right to decide how kids are taught.
Strong Military Support
Military leaders are supporting Common Core State Standards because critical thinking and complex problem solving are essential skills for today’s, and tomorrow’s, military.
Tools for Parents
From learning what to expect in your child’s classroom to understanding why high standards are important, here is the important information parents need now.
- GOP fear of Common Core education standards unfounded http://wapo.st/117BD01@MJGerson
- Proud to see Florida taking the initiative & leading the nation in implementing Common Core teacher training http://ow.ly/cJ2tp.@JebBush
- Defends states' rights on #commoncore education standards: http://1.usa.gov/11Fzygr #ccss@SenAlexander
- Article written by a members of #Reagan and #GWBush admins Common Core: Conservative to the Core bit.ly/10HRd9e #sayfie #FLSenateGOP@SenatorJohnLegg
- Regardless of demographic, there is overwhelming support for Common Core from TN Voters in @score4schools poll http://ow.ly/lSpve #ccss@BFrist
Featured News Stories:
The debate about the standards must be changed to ensure politics and mythology don’t derail…February 10, 2014
National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference Joins Christian and Conservative Leaders in Support of Common Core State Standards
Governor Jeb Bush, Governor Mike Huckabee, Dr. Nicole Baker Fulgham, Dr. Karen Swallow Prior, Catholic…February 6, 2014
What Conservatives Are Really Saying
- “If we’re going to be the best country, and not just talk about it, we need to actually do the work to make it happen. Higher standards is a key element of that, and these standards, the Common Core State Standards, are clear and straightforward, they will allow for more innovation in the classroom, less regulation, they’ll equip students to compete against their peers across the globe.”- Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush
- “Like many of you, I’ve heard the argument these standards ‘threaten local control’ of what’s being taught in Oklahoma classrooms. Speaking from one conservative to another, let me assure you this simply is not true. States and local school districts will determine how they want to teach kids, what curriculum to use, and which textbooks to use.”- Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee
- "We want to make sure that our schools have high standards. The standards we have should be ones driven by Wisconsin parents, Wisconsin families, Wisconsin employers and educators out there.”- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker
- "We need a Common Core that is state-based with the governors as well as educators and businesses involved."Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin
- “It can't be the case that we are so under-educating our children that large numbers of them cannot – maybe 75 percent – are not capable of serving in our military. What are we doing? And what are you going to do about it? I would like to hear the Common Core endorsed and the governors continuing to work on it.”- Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
- “The Common Core State Standards are a building block in our state’s education system meant to ensure that teachers and districts can innovate within a framework of high expectations and accountability. They are based on the fundamental belief that every child in every classroom deserves an education that will properly equip them with the skills they need for college and a career. Our aggressive implementation of these standards in partnership with districts will ensure that our children have an education that will serve them well in the next stages of their lives.”- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie
- “Just like in business, measurement should be focused on results – and the new Common Core Standards we are implementing will do just that. Getting this transition right is critical and is the best mechanism we have to ensure our kids are well prepared for college and careers.”- Florida Governor Rick Scott
- “Adopting the Common Core State Standards…. will raise expectations for every child.”– Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal